Monday, October 14, 2013

China Glaze Howl You Doin' vs Orly Fowl Play Comparison Swatches

     Today, I have a comparison swatch to show you guys. I noticed when I got my bottle of Howl You Doin' that it looked suspiciously like Orly's Fowl Play. So I decided that I would do a swatch comparison for you guys. Because in the bottle they looked like dead on dupes. Here some pictures:

Pictures:

Indoor no flash.
Note the texture difference.

Outdoor in sunlight.
Note the hue difference.

Outdoor in shade.

Closeups:

China Glaze - Howl You Doin'. Indoor no flash. 
Note the smaller red torn shards and blue micro hexagons (which China Glaze has more of). Seems like everyone's having a hard time getting pics of this polish to show the detail. Not me. My camera may be old but it does macro shots like no other (Yay Nikon!). 

Orly - Fowl Play. Indoor no flash. 
Note the larger red glitter is a torn/flakie glitter (which is larger than that in China Glaze), and the presence of tiny slivers of silver glitter (absent from China Glaze).

     For these pictures I used two coats of China Glaze Howl You Doin' and three coats of Orly Fowl Play. Both polishes are in a jelly base with red and blue glitter in them. As far as formula goes, China Glaze is a better formula because it only needs two coats, and it dries faster. That said, with China Glaze there's more glitter, so it is a bit bumpier in texture. When it comes to color, Orly is a little bit more of a dusky indigo color, where China Glaze is more of a grapey color (it reminds me a little bit of grape juice). Also, Fowl Play seems to have teeny tiny silver micro glitter shreds in it, and Howl You Doin' does not. It's also worth mentioning that the red glitter in Fowl Play is more of a flakie glitter and I would classify the red glitter in Howl You Doin' as more of a shard glitter. So as you can see from the pictures they are not really dupes (The bottles lied! *insert mock horror here*). However they are close enough that if you have one, you probably don't need the other. And if you don't have either I would say get the China Glaze, because it has more glitter, dries faster, and it is a prettier color (IMO). Well that's all I have for you today. Until next time, stay classy, and stay polished.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment