Sunday, May 25, 2014

X-Men: Days Of Future Past Manicure

     Okay, so I know I've been MIA for a bit but I've been kinda busy with getting ready for grad school and being the host of viral plague (Okay not really. But what else do you call a sinus/ear infection. That even though I am medicated is still kicking my butt pretty hard?). In fact I am on day two of antibiotics and I still keep getting hit with the dizzy spells from hell. I have a couple minutes of not gross mixed with a lot of moments of gross.
     This manicure I'm about to show you took 3 days to complete. And yeah I probably should have been resting the whole time. But I painted a nail took a break, painted a nail took a break. Hence the whole 3 days to finish. It's also kind of an experiment. It's a mixture of gel and regular nail polish: The woman at Sally Beauty Supply said would never work. Well as you are about to see it does work, as for longevity...only time will tell but for now it looks lovely. I will update later on how long it lasts with this combo.
     So now that's out of the way lets talk about X-Men. I don't know if you guys know this but I am a huge X-men fan. Like super huge, mega, nerd about it (for which I will never be sorry). I've been waiting for this movie since the last one. And yes I'm already excited for the one after this one. Now I would have seen it Friday...but instead I got to go to the doctor (Believe me I was beyond pissed about it). But I am going tonight come hell or high water, because I won't be contagious, and every day I wait to see it, is killing me inside. Seeing it will make me happy, being happy helps you get better faster ergo I must see it to get better...well at least that's what I'm telling myself. So here we go: My X-Men: Days Of Future Past manicure.

Pictures:



Left Hand:

Thumb through pinkie: Professor X, Rogue, Wolverine, Shadowcat, & Storm


Right Hand:

Pinkie though Thumb: Jean Grey, Mystique, Magneto, Beast, and Professor X. 
I tried to strategically place the glitter like her scales) on the Mystique nail but yeah...that didn't work out well so I just went random on it. And two professor X nails because he ties everyone together. 


Closeups:

The links below are as follows: 1st links (X-Men Names) are comic character bios ( but be careful they may contain spoilers), 2nd link (the characters full names) are pictures of characters in the X-Men films thus far that I used as inspiration for this manicure. I do not own the characters, likenesses, or images (in the links), I am just an avid fan and wanted to pay tribute. I only own the picture of my nails and the nail art I did on them.
Storm (aka Ororo Monroe)
What I Used: 
Geláze - White On White
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
OPI - 4 In The Morning
Geláze - Top Coat

Shadowcat (aka Kitty Pryde)
What I Used: 
Geláze - White On White
Geláze - Diva Bride
China Glaze - Rich & Famous
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
OPI - 4 In The Morning
Geláze - Top Coat

Wolverine (aka Logan or James Howlett)
What I Used: 
Geláze - White On White
China Glaze - Happy Go Lucky
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
OPI - 4 In The Morning
Geláze - Top Coat

Rogue (aka Anna Marie)
What I Used: 
Geláze - White On White 
China Glaze - Lemon Fizz
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
OPI - 4 In The Morning
Geláze - Top Coat

Professor X (aka Charles Xavier) [both thumbs]
What I Used: 
Geláze - Liquid Leather
China Glaze - Icicle
Geláze - Top Coat

Jean Grey (aka Marvel Girl, Phoenix, Dark Phoenix) 
What I Used: 
Geláze - Salsa
OPI - 4 In The Morning
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
Geláze - Top Coat

Mystique (aka Raven Darkholme)
What I Used: 
Finger Paints - Who's the Em-Boss?
OPI - Ogre The Top Blue
Finger Paints - Heat Flare
Finger Paints - Soak Off Top Coat

Magneto (Aka Erik Lehnsherr)
What I Used: 
Geláze - Salsa
Purple - (all China Glaze) Mix 1 drop VII, 1 drop Grape Pop, 2 drops Gothic Lolita, & 2 drops No Plain Jane
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
Geláze - Top Coat

Beast (aka Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy)
What I Used: 
Geláze - White On White
China Glaze - Happy Go Lucky
China Glaze - Liquid Leather
Geláze - Top Coat

The Trailer: 

In case you've been under a rock and haven't seen it yet.


     So there you have it my gel+regular polish hybrid manicure dedicated to the X-Men. In stead of using all their comic outfits I decided to use the details from their clothing in the films. Not that I don't love the comics. Because I do (grew up with them). I love them a ton. I have just seen a lot on manicures that use their comic outfits so I wanted to do something different. And the accents on their movie outfits were a lot easier to pull off while sick.
     My favorite nail has to be the Magneto nail. For two reasons: one I painted it free hand on the nail with my left hand (I'm right handed!!!!!) and two I have a soft spot for Magneto (actually I have a soft spot for all characters or people who grow up without their moms, because I was one). Regardless I'm pretty proud of how awesome this whole mani turned out. Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you guys what methods I used: taping, free hand (Magneto's awesome helmet), and self made decals (Professor X symbol).
     Also I'm sure you're all wondering who my favorite X-Man is. Well that depends. If we are talking about films then it's easily Wolverine (and not just because Hugh Jackman is man pretty, because if it was about who's prettier you know young Magneto, played by Micheal Fassbender, would be my favorite...cuz damn that man is gorgeous, even if he always looks slightly as though he's perpetually and intentionally up to no good). I like Wolverine because he is so deeply flawed but he tries to do better and that's all the more endearing because the cards are always stacked against him.
     However, my favorite X-Man in the comic isn't a man at all, it's Rogue (Storm and Wolverine are close runners up though, and Dark Phoenix is up there to) because she's totally bad ass, she's super strong, flies, has her cool borrowing powers ability, and never wines about her abilities she's like "Yeah, I'm bad ass! What are you going to do about it?" That said, they kind of crapped out on her in the films IMO (but Anna Paquin did a good job with what she had). That said I also rather like any version on Mystique as well because she's a total bad ass. Anyway that's all I have for you guys today. Until next time, stay classy, and stay polished.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment